As of the end of December I will have visited all but 4 of our members. I hope to have the remaining visits scheduled as soon as possible (although we are waiting for the construction to conclude before scheduling the Red Bank visit).
Software Upgrades and Enhancements
The major focus of our activities for the next month or so will be the upgrade to GL 3.1 Unicorn server and client. See the attached memo for more detailed information on this project.
In addition to the planned Unicorn upgrade, it was decided after the SAM Users meeting to pursue an upgrade of the SAM software. We have no timeline for this yet but will be working with Comprise on this project.
I will be coordinating the implementation of the Central Search portal software. I asked Sirsi to put us on an implementation timeline. At that time they indicated there were contracts that needed to be signed due to the change in the product from the Single Search to the Central Search (provided by Serials Solutions). We are still working through this process but it seems that Serials Solutions does not have a pricing model for consortia. This means that the 2nd and subsequent year costs for this product are considerably higher than we were originally quoted by Sirsi for the Single Search product. When we agreed to the substitution of the Central Search product we apparently agreed to pay the higher future year costs. I am working with our sales rep at Sirsi to see if we can change this. The ongoing costs are several times over the ongoing costs in the original contract and are possibly prohibitive. I am hopeful that we can resolve this issue. I believe that since it was Sirsi’s decision to pull the product we purchased, it is there responsibility to come up with a pricing model that is comparable to what we originally were quoted.
In October we made 29 troubleshooting visits to 17 different libraries. Other measures of activity include:
New Items Added 25,869
Bib Records Added by LMxAC 2,730
New Bib Records Added (Total) 5,095
New User Records Added 4,367
System downtime was brief but there were random periods during the past month when member libraries and remote patrons were unable to log into iBistro. The problem lasted for several days until ClientCare was able to determine that there was a problem with a log file on one of the 4 iBistro servers. Sirsi sent us a new exe file that corrected the problem and will prevent this problem from occurring in the future.
In the last month I have participated in the following meetings:
Meeting with Auditor October 12
Finance Committee Meeting October 16
Circulation Meeting - Monroe October 17
MCC Library Tour and Visit October 18
LMxAC Board Meeting October 19
Membership Meeting October 20
SAM Users Meeting October 20
BCCLS Trustee Program – Secaucus October 23
Matawan Aberdeen Library Tour and Visit October 26
E-Rate Workshop October 30
Consortia Meeting (BCCLS,
LMX Meeting November 3
LMxAC Staff Meeting November 3
Dunellen – Meeting to discuss loading records November 7
Eileen M. Palmer